St Johns is the Anglican Parish Church serving the town of Birtley and it’s surroundings.
Welcome to our little web site
we hope you find it useful and interesting.
The Church is fairly centrally located on Birtley Lane, a road that runs parallel
to the main street but about 100 yards above it in the town centre.
From the main street either go up the Avenue, opposite Barclays Bank, turn right
at the top and the Church is 150 yds on left.
Alternatively, go up Harris Bank - opposite Komatsu - and turn left at top, Church
100 yds on right just past Moulders Arms Public House. (There is a map below).
Built in 1848, the Church has developed to offer a fairly central style of Anglican
worship in a modernised but still traditional building, to a modest but committed
The links on the left lead to more detailed pages of the Church’s development, Church
life and Services today and should prove a good starting place for information or
There is a loop system for hearing aid users.
On the right are some external links to our neighbouring Churches and Community organisations.
(We have no control over the availability or content of these links)
We appreciate any feedback, comments or memories. Please either use the visitors
book or just drop an email.
Some Local Links
Welcome to St Johns
St Josephs RC Church
Birtley Methodist Church
Birtley Comunity Partnership
Chester le Street
Diocese of Durham
A - Z